Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Aurelio: I Have To Prove Myself

Fabio Aurelio admits he is relishing his return to Liverpool and the opportunity to be a part of Roy Hodgson's new Anfield era.
After initially leaving the club at the end of the 2009-10 season following the expiry of his contract, the Brazilian re-signed for the Reds on Saturday evening on a two-year deal - and he admits it was an offer he simply could not turn down.
He said: "It was a strange situation. I didn't really want to leave but it just happened that my contract finished and that was it. So when the opportunity came around to sign again, I was absolutely delighted.
"It wasn't just for me. My family love it here and we are really settled. When we thought we were going to have to leave, it was really hard. Fortunately we are not in that situation any more and it's a dream to have the opportunity to work here again.
"We talked about some other options but as soon as Liverpool contacted me, that was it. I wasn't interested in going abroad and it wouldn't be fair to talk about (offers from) other clubs. The important thing is that I am back here and I am happy. I want to help the team improve."
Hodgson moved to snap-up Aurelio after the defender impressed both the boss and his medical team during training at Melwood, and he appeared as a second-half substitute in Sunday's pre-season friendly with Borussia Moenchengladbach.
"I have a fabulous opportunity to be back here for two more years," added Aurelio. "I'm just looking forward to the next season. I didn't expect the call and I just have to say thanks to the boss, as he contacted the club about my situation.
"When the boss saw the opportunity and he contacted me, it was easy to complete.
"I'm not 100 per cent match fit yet because it had been quite a while since I had last played. But while I was on holiday, I tried to work hard and keep myself ticking over.
"The couple of days I spent with the team were also really beneficial and I think I have got some good days ahead to improve my fitness.
"We have made some good additions, like Joe (Cole) and Milan (Jovanovic) and we can be very confident about the future."
Despite having spent four seasons at Anfield, notching up 110 appearances, Aurelio believes there is much hard work to do if he is to establish himself as an integral part of the new Reds' regime.
He said: "Yes, I think I have got everything to prove. You always want to show more of yourself, you want to improve and make people happy. I want to do much better than I did in my first four years.
"It feels like a new beginning but, at the same time, I feel very comfortable because I know how the club works; there have been changes during the summer but the changes have been made to help us improve and, in the end, I think they will be good for everyone."

No comments:

Post a Comment