Monday, August 2, 2010

Joe Cole Waiting For The Anfield Bow

Joe Cole has set his sights on making his Kop bow in Thursday's Europa League clash with FK Rabotnicki.
The England midfielder admits he was delighted to pull on a red shirt for the first time when he featured for 64 minutes of Sunday's pre-season defeat to Borussia Moenchengladbach.
However, the 28-year-old accepts the game in Germany won't come to close to matching his feelings should he get the nod to make his Anfield debut against the Macedonian outfit later this week.
"It was nice to pull on a red shirt for the first time," he told Liverpoolfc.tv. "But I've got the first competitive game still to come on Thursday and then there's the Barclays Premier League, so there are more debuts ahead.
"I'm really looking forward to playing at Anfield. It really gets you going in that kind of atmosphere."
Cole's performance at Borussia Park will have given Reds fans a mouthwatering glimpse of what to expect next season after he showed some neat link-up play with captain Steven Gerrard.
The former Chelsea man admits he is still short of his top form but reckons it won't be long before the Kop see him in full flow.
"I just want to get my match sharpness now," he said. "You can do all the training in the world but you need minutes on the pitch to get fit.  It's good I got 60 minutes under my belt and I'm really happy."
He added: "It was nice to hear You'll Never Walk Alone at the start of the game. We were organised throughout the game and that's a good base for us to start from, especially with a lot of young players in the team. We are all listening to what the manager is telling us to do defensively.
"I've been impressed with the young guys and I already know a lot of the senior players - we've got a lot of talent here. We have a nice organised way of playing. Now we need to build on that. We've still got more players to come back, so hopefully we'll have more options in attack."
Cole started his first game for Liverpool playing in an attacking role just off the striker - a position he hopes to make his own in the weeks and months ahead.
"It's like playing as a third midfielder really," he said.  "I like to start in those positions, but I also look to let Stevie get forward and fill in when I can.
"I enjoyed the game and hopefully I'll be better and better with each one I play."

No comments:

Post a Comment