Monday, August 2, 2010

Benayoun: I Joined Chelsea Coz' Liverpool Couldn't Beat Them Last Season

Chelsea new boy Yossi Benayoun is relishing the fight to break into manager Carlo Ancelotti's double-winning side, admitting that it was the Blues' strong performance at Anfield last term that convinced him to make the switch.


Benayoun, 30, is the sole major piece of transfer business carried out by the Italian since lifting the Premier League and FA Cup. After arriving for a reported £5 million fee from Liverpool, he is expected to fill the gap left by Joe Cole and the soon to be departed Deco next term.


Speaking to Press Association Sport, Benayoun was under no illusions about the scrap to make Ancelotti's team sheet despite the departures.


"There are a lot of good players, big players, for me it is the beginning and I have to work hard and prove I can bring something to this club," the Israeli acknowledged.


"The only thing I can promise is I will work hard and do my best, and hopefully it will be good enough.


"I had offers from a few teams but when Chelsea came in for me it was the obvious and only thing to think about, and I am glad it came out in the end."


The Israel international's switch brought to an end a three-year stay at Anfield. Chelsea were the last side Benayoun faced at home and he revealed the 2-0 defeat that day verified his choice of club.


"The last home game I knew it would be my last for Liverpool, I tried to do my best but Chelsea were strong," added Benayoun.


"All the years here in England, five years, Chelsea were always a difficult side to play against with big players and that's why they are always there at the top fighting for trophies. That's why I am glad to be a part of it now."

No comments:

Post a Comment