Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ngog Ready For A New Striker

David Ngog admits the prospect of a new striker arriving in January has motivated him during an impressive start to 2010-11. The France U21 international is Liverpool's top scorer in all competitions this season with seven goals from 15 appearances. Another strike against Napoli on Thursday night would see him equal his best tally for the club and add to his reputation as a more than adequate stand-in for Fernando Torres. Even so, Roy Hodgson has made no secret of his eagerness to strengthen the club's attacking options in the upcoming transfer windows. Ngog - who won the Standard Chartered LFC Player of the Month for August - is ready for the challenge. "When you are a professional you know that it's normal that the coach will want to make the team stronger," the former Paris St Germain star told Liverpoolfc.tv. "I'm here now and ready to fight. Of course I want to play and be on the pitch every week, and of course I will fight for that. "It's good for me (to be top scorer) but for now the most important thing is to get the team in good shape and to try to win games. Then if I score goals, it's better of course. "I feel more confident after the few goals I've scored, and I feel more comfortable in the team this season. But I try to improve, always." Eagle-eyed fans will have noticed Ngog has grown in stature since last season following a conscious effort to toughen up to the rigours of English football. "I know English football is a strength game where you have to fight. If I can be stronger, that will improve my game," he said. "I'm spending time in the gym. I try to work on everything but, yes, I am working on this (trying to become stronger)." Liverpool are currently two points clear of Europa League Group K heading into Thursday's clash with Serie A side Napoli. Ngog thinks two wins from our remaining three fixtures may be required to guarantee progression to the knockout stages. "We have three games left, so maybe two wins would put us through to the next stage," said the 21-year-old. "Napoli are a really good team. They're fifth in Italy and they attack really well with their wingers and crosses. They are a really dangerous team."

No comments:

Post a Comment