Saturday, October 23, 2010

Shelvey Desperate For More Starts

Jonjo Shelvey reflected on his man of the match performance in Thursday's goalless draw with Napoli and declared: 'It was the biggest night of my career.' The 18-year-old marked his first ever competitive start for Liverpool with a commanding display during the Europa League stalemate at the Stadio San Paolo. When asked by Liverpoolfc.tv afterwards if he felt it was the biggest moment of his fledging career so far, Shelvey replied: "Yes. It has to be, doesn't it? "I thought I started the game a bit shaky, but as the game wore on my confidence grew and grew.
"The manager put a lot of trust in me to play, but I feel I've repaid him and hopefully I can get more chances." The Reds' draw means they remain top of Group K in the Europa League and in pole position to qualify for the knockout phase. Shelvey feels the players can be proud of their efforts in a hostile atmosphere in Naples. "It's a great result for the club after a few disappointing weeks," he added. "It's not a nice place to come and play football. It's a scary place but as a unit we stuck behind the ball and played very well."

No comments:

Post a Comment