Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hodgson: Dalglish Is In The Right Place

So far it has been a story that might even test the brain of Milan Kundera, the Czech writer who Roy Hodgson espouses, but the Liverpool manager maintains that the club's fortunes are about to turn and the days of political struggling at Anfield are over. They may have new owners but Liverpool remain in the relegation zone going in to today's game at Bolton and there is still much to be done for Hodgson, who has guided his team to only two wins in nine Premier League games so far. Few managers in Hodgson's position would feel comfortable with Kenny Dalglish at the club (think Alan Shearer multiplied by Kevin Keegan in Newcastle terms), particularly as the Scot made it clear he was interested in the manager's job in the summer. But far from being threatened by Dalglish's presence, Hodgson even went to Wigan's 1-1 draw against Bolton with the Scot last week – Dalglish drove – and thinks the former player-manager is vital to taking the club forward. Hodgson feels Dalglish, whose current role involves working with the academy and some scouting after returning to the club as an ambassador under Rafael Benitez last year, should be working at a level that is unaffected by the identity of the manager for as long as he wants. "I'm not prepared to pass up on quality people who can help because of a fear the day may come when the club decides they want Kenny as manager," said Hodgson. "That wasn't the case in the summer, but that's not to say it won't be the case forever. I don't know. I have no fears in that respect because I know my qualities and I'm not a political person. He is doing a great job alongside us and we involve him in our scouting while he still works at the academy and plays an ambassadorial role. That's what he's good at. "You cannot find a better person for that than Kenny. I told him I was disappointed he went for the manager's job because for me he should be working for Liverpool on a permanent basis, long after I leave for years to come assisting all future Liverpool managers. When it was mooted the club wanted me for the job I made it clear to Kenny I wantedhim on board and it wouldn't be like it was with Benitez where you are here in name but never allowed to set foot into Melwood and we don't want anything to do with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment