Friday, August 20, 2010

Joe Cole Takes Blame For Penalty Miss

Liverpool's Joe Cole took the blame for the penalty miss which left the Reds with a narrow 1-0 lead over Trabzonspor in their Europa League qualifier.
Cole saw his spot-kick saved after Ryan Babel had put Liverpool ahead.
"It wasn't unfortunate," he said. "It was a poor penalty. I haven't taken one for about 15 years and I might wait another 15 before I take the next one.
"You move on but the main thing is that the team won. I hold my hands up for that, it wasn't good enough."
Cole has had an eventful start to his Liverpool career after being red-carded in their Premier League opener against Arsenal on Sunday.
He set up Babel for the opener and believes it is vital the Reds won without conceding an away goal.
"We were far from vintage but we got the job done and it's always good not to concede at home," he added. "We got the win so we are happy.
We probably did deserve the extra goal which would have made the trip to Turkey more comfortable
Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson
"It's my job to make goals. I'm happy that in two-and-half games I've made two. It's just a case of keeping on doing it and getting better.
"I need to keep improving and getting fitter and fitter. The main thing is the team and it is a good result in Europe."
Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson was left rueful over the penalty miss as well as a late disallowed goal by debutant Christian Poulsen.
Poulsen forced the ball home after Trabzonspor keeper Onur Kivrak could only parry a Sotirios Kyrgiakos header against Cole's back.
The effort appeared to be ruled out for a foul on Kivrak, although there was also a hint of offside.
"TV replays showed there was no real contact between Joe Cole and the goalkeeper," said Hodgson.
"That's one of the things that happens these days. He was clever enough I think to cover up his error by pretending to be fouled and the referee unfortunately wasn't in a position to see through the masquerade."
He added: "I think with our second-half performance we can probably count ourselves unlucky.
"We probably did deserve the extra goal which would have made the trip to Turkey more comfortable. Now it won't be comfortable at all.
"If you miss a penalty you can't blame anybody but yourselves but I thought we were unlucky with the disallowed goal.
"Overall. I am very pleased with the result and performance, especially second half, but whether it will be good enough to take to Trabzonspor, only time will tell."

No comments:

Post a Comment